Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dating Advice: Getting Jimmied

I'm back from my mission, and I'm determined to make a go of the dating game this time around. We're talking, Josie Grossie breaks out of her shell kind of thing, minus the bad hair and total lack of fashion (I hope). Things looked great earlier in the week, until Mr. Supposedly Nice Guy cut off all communication and stopped looking at me. Knife to the heart. My mom's words of wisdom: Tell him no grilled cheese sandwiches unless we're going to move onto a pasta dish. Not originally a metaphor, but I realize it could be.

This episode falls in the category of my new family term, "Getting Jimmied," based on both the jerk-man character from That Thing You Do! and one of sister's recent dating dissers. A Jimmy will act interested and probably even initiate the dating process, but then he'll abruptly cut it off, sometimes with no explanation or, possibly worse, tell you, "I think you're more into this than I am" (even though he started it).

So, stay away from Jimmys and make sure you get a commitment for pasta.

4 comments:

  1. Jimmies are the worst. I would also add that if you can start to imagine them in evil dentist shirts a la That Thing You Do! Jimmy, so much the better. Who wants to date an evil dentist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I love it! That Thing You Do! is definitely in my top five of all-time favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank goodness you didn't waste 1000 kisses on him. And remember, Jimmy is u-tant...another undesirable characteristic. Welcome back to blogging! You've been sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. Blind and clueless these guys are. So glad to see you back here. I have a secret: mr. J is reading nancy drew.

    ReplyDelete