Wednesday, October 19, 2011

When You're a Jet, You Stay a Jet

If Blogger had room for a subtitle, this post would be subtitled: "Or, Why You Should Like Random Old Things on Facebook."

Because today liking random old things on Facebook paid off for me.

I like West Side Story. Actually, that's an understatement. I LOVE West Side Story.

And here's why:

1. This moment of the movie. 'Nuff said.


2. I have a vague, blurry memory from childhood of my mom borrowing the VHS of West Side Story from the local library. At that time, I was too young to sit down and watch the whole movie and all it's dazzling dance moves, but I associate this dance masterpiece with my mom. (Who, coincidentally, minored in dance. Not too shabby.)



3. Ten years ago, during the 40th anniversary year, I attended my first live performance of West Side Story, put on by a community theater in a small town in Idaho. Despite it's amateur cast and design, that day will forever live in my memory. Because on the way to see that play, my parents told me and my sister we would be adding another member to our family. That member was my brother, who just this week celebrated his tenth birthday. (Also, at the end of the performance, we went to our favorite local burger joint and got autographs from half the cast on napkins. My sister got one from Chino. Classy.)


4. And today, I looked at my Facebook feed and what did I see? An announcement from whoever/whatever is in charge of updating the Facebook page of West Side Story that the film will be shown in theaters once again, ONE NIGHT ONLY, on November 9. You bet I'll be there. You bet I'll be snapping in the aisles. 'Cause when you're a Jet, you stay a Jet.

And to think, just minutes ago I thought Glee would be the only avenue I had for celebrating the 50th anniversary of this landmark musical that brings Shakespeare to the ghettos of New York City. I love you, Blaine and Mike, but Ice will always have my West Side Story heart.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome. If nothing else as a mother, I am proud to introduce you to fabulous things like musical theater and men appreciation. You might think that I had a desire for you to love all things Jets vs. Sharks, but that was not my real motive. Have you ever joined a gang? Stabbed a man? Learned to make literary comparisons to Shakespeare with modern cinema? Spoke with an accent? Felt pretty? Oh so pretty? Of course you have. Because you had a mother who knew you would glean knowledge from those crazy, cool, boys. Real.Cool. P.S. I love that your very first pre-memory of Eli involves West Side Story. I had forgotten that. Maybe we should've named him Riff. For fun, let's just start calling him Jet and see if it bugs him. P.S.S. Once again, a post I should've written. But you beat me to it. Besides, I did have that Cullins/Black comparison last year so I'll settle for that.

    ReplyDelete