Monday, November 7, 2011

Biblical Dating Tips: "Feed My Camels"

Today, I found this article putting forth one woman's theory about why some women have difficulty getting dates. It prompted quite a Facebook conversation between me, my mom, and several good friends. We really didn't agree with it. Really.

Immediately after that conversation, I went to lunch with a different friend, and we too were discussing the article and the short-sighted thought process behind it. While in line, we ran into a friend of hers.

And when I say friend I mean Polynesian college football player friend of hers.

So we sat at his lunch table. And without us even starting it, the conversation turned to dating. This is where it gets good.

Because Polynesian football player friend told us a story about a recent church meeting where his stake president compared seeking out your spouse to the story of Isaac's servant finding Rebekah to be Isaac's wife.

If you're not familiar with this biblical gem, see Genesis 24. The basic gist of the story is that Isaac's dad, Abraham, insists that Isaac marry within the family religion, but none of the local girls live the standards. So they send a servant out with a caravan of camels to find a more fruitful dating pool . When the servant arrives at a well, he makes a proposition to God that would go something like this in today's vernacular.

"Hey, I've got an idea. How about I stand here by this well of water with my thirsty camels, and the first girl who offers to water them for me will be the woman destined to marry Isaac. Kapeesh?"


And that's exactly what happens. Rebekah offers to water the camels and in exchange gets to marry Isaac and be the mother of many nations. (Looking at the picture, she didn't need to have God set her up with Isaac, though. Look at the feminine tilt of her head. Irresistible to men who need to feel needed.)

But back to our football player friend. He said that, according to his church leader, guys will know a girl is the one when she "feeds his camels." (Yes, he said "feed," not water. I didn't correct him. I was trying to create an atmosphere of trust. He also thought it was the story of Ruth and Boaz. I didn't correct him there, either. According to the article, men like to feel like women trust them. Even when they are wrong.)

I then straight-up asked this football player I met 15 minutes before, "So, how does a girl feed a guy's camels?" No answer. There weren't crickets in the background or anything, but he skirted around the issue with attempts like, "Oh, I don't know" or "It's different for everyone" or some such nonsense. I offered up possibilities: "Is she willing to do your homework for you? Is she cooking for you all the time? Does she give you backrubs?" Honestly, I just wanted to know what feeds a guy's camels. At the moment, he seemed like a more reliable source than the dating coach.

Finally, he escaped answering the question by turning it around on me. "Well, what about you? What feeds your camels?"

"A guy asking me on a date."

"But what about after that?"

"Him liking me and asking me on another date. And then liking me more and asking me out again."

I'm not trying to be facetious; I mean it. That's what feeds my camels (who haven't been fed or watered in several months, thank you). At this point and in this dating market, that's what I like. A guy who's willing to take the initiative and not make me feed his camels before he'll make the sacrifice of asking for my number or opening a door for me.

In case your wondering, no, this Polynesian football player friend did not decide to feed my camel and ask me out. But he did prompt what will prove to be a whole new goldmine of blogging topics. Come back soon for dating tips from Jacob and Leah, a couple who know that good things come to those who wait.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Whitney. Love, love, love this!!! I agree with you - it's so simple yet powerful to have a guy show interest and take initiative. They don't realize just how powerful and flattering it is!!! I've found myself unexpectedly interested in quite a few guys who I would never have picked out of a lineup, simply because they noticed me and asked me out. So refreshing, so delightful.

    In other news, I did like that LDS Living article. It gels with the plethora of dating books and advice articles I've read over my decade of in-it-for-keeps singleness. (Those who cannot do, teach? Well, those who cannot date, read copious amounts of dating advice materials...) Massaging the male ego and being feminine are huge because they show differentiation. That said, my technique needs some serious work... but I do agree with the content of the article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That LDS Living article was creepy, but if you boil it down to "people like people who show interest in them," then it's making a good point. I don't like that it makes it sound like you have to be someone else to get someone to ask you out. I've found that genuine interest (not flaunting false femininity) usually gets people to open up and talk to you and potentially ask you out or give you the opportunity to ask them out.

    Also, does "feed his camels" sound incredibly dirty to anyone else? Just me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. Kelsy - it does sound dirty lol. I love it. I'm showing this to Justin. it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete