Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas on TV: Movies with Mistletoe

Moonlight and Mistletoe


Candace Cameron Bure, a.k.a. D.J. from Full House, stars in this movie as the daughter of Tom Arnold, a man who runs a Christmas-themed amusement park that is doomed to go under if it doesn't turn a profit this year. Guess what their names are? Holly and Nick. Super original. D.J./Holly gets to fend off the advances of two potential boyfriends--one with evil intentions for the Santa theme park, one with a true heart of gold and a skill for making nutcrackers.


I consider this film fairly middle of the road as far as Christmas movies go. It doesn't make me giggle and squirm with joy because the characters and the storyline are original and charming; it doesn't make me giggle and squirm because the characters and the storyline are boring and sentimental. In fact, it doesn't make me giggle or squirm at all. The love interest is cute in a rugged, outdoorsy way, but I don't find myself rooting for their love story like I do in other movies.

But apparently there's also a book with this title...


I'm not sure the two are related.

Mistletoe Over Manhattan

The only reason this movie is even getting a full review is that I planned this "mistletoe" blogpost out before I realized how much this movie exudes the qualities I dislike about poorly made TV Chrismtas movies. Way too many scenes with elves and Santa Claus, an overacting and interfering Mrs. Claus (known as Mrs. Clausburger), background music that "sparkles," a red-haired actress in green dresses for a showcasing of the Christmas spirit, and a tragic family situation that finds a remarkable solution. I'm sorry, but a couple with deep-seeded communication issues cannot solve those problems by recreating their first kiss, even if that kiss took place under the mistletoe. I didn't catch this movie when it premiered last year, and now I won't be watching it next year or any year after that. But the family in the picture does look pretty.

And a book also shares this title. Again, probably not related.

2 comments:

  1. I have to comment on Mistletoe over Manhattan and agree with the reviewer on this site.
    I think the movie inappropriate for children and even adults. A married couple going through a divorce and the wife/mother is having relations with her boss before she is even divorced. I find that tacky. The wife and mother is an adulterer. Hallmark wants to show quality family programming, but show a movie like this where the children’s mother is having an affair. Poor example of a quality movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks
    Nice to information from you again.
    I hope all is well with you.
    family programming


    ReplyDelete