Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Birthday Card Philosopher's Irish Mentor

I'm journeying through one of my favorite novels again, Maeve Binchy's Circle of Friends. A must read for any woman who is going to college or has ever been to college, or even knows any woman who's ever been to college. I sympathize with Benny and find Aidan Lynch the best male character overall, although Jack has his charms. It keeps me daydreaming for days, right when spring fever is in the air. Not five minutes ago, I decided to peruse Maeve's website and discovered her brief but fascinating bio. Check it out. (Just click "About Maeve.")

I particularly hope to emulate her traveling for pleasure, writing for life, and marrying for love. Not to mention the utter beauty of everything Irish. And, doesn't she have the best name for a writer? Ever? I'm officially inviting you to her circle of friends. You won't regret it.
A cautionary note: Don't check out the movie of the same name based on the book. Just because it includes Minnie Driver and the oh-so-charming Chris O'Donnell is no reason to trust it. Totally inaccurate and unnecesary change to the perfection that is Maeve's book.

2 comments:

  1. I like Chris O'Donnell and Minnie Driver in Circle of Friends, but do not like the movie, either, mostly because of that creepy Alan Cummins...he is SO greasy! So far I have re-read Tara Road and Quentins, and now I am delving into Evening Class. You're right...this is the perfect time of year to enjoy Maeve Binchy...wait...anytime of the year in Maeve Binchy time...until she gets replaced by a new up and coming American author...I think the name starts with Whit and ends with ney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rented that movie on a whim, and totally regretted it. Somehow, they made Colin Firth creepy, and I'm not okay with that.

    ReplyDelete